PianoLab Curriculum Creator
Piano Cleveland is seeking a PianoLab Curriculum Creator to write content for courses in collaboration with The Music Settlement for the Fall 2021-Spring 2022 school year. The creator will have the spring and summer of 2021 to create curricula for two courses: beginner keyboard classes for young musicians (ages 12-17), and beginner keyboard for novices (ages 8+). Both courses will be taught in a group keyboard lab setting with 8-10 students per class.
- Create two curricula for beginner keyboard students. Each should cover two (2) 10-week semesters (with classes meeting 1 time per week)
- Course A is for beginning students age 12 – 17 with some experience on another musical instrument
- Should include the introduction to basic music theory concepts (intervals, harmony, melody, rhythm)
- Course B should be created for beginner students 8 years and older with no prior musical experience
- Curricula should:
- Be written for in-person learning in a keyboard lab setting
- Outline periodic goals with a means to achieving them
- Provide in-class performance opportunities for students
- Include weekly lesson plans, which include recommended exercises plus alternatives and modifications for more, or less advances students
- Curricula should cover the following subjects:
- Fundamentals: reading music, practice strategies, rhythm development, scales, chords, one & two hand playing
- Repertoire: we value an inclusive approach to piano repertoire, so would like to see the inclusion of Western Art Music alongside other genres, as well as WAM composers that are traditionally underrepresented
- Supporting Material: ear training, music history that includes BIPOC composers and musicians
- A minimum of 2 years of music teaching experience
- Understanding of music pedagogy best practices
- Strong keyboard skills
- Preferred but not required
- Experience in group teaching
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher, preferably in piano, keyboard studies, or education
The chosen candidate will be asked to submit both curricula for review in July 2021. Any edits and changes must be finalized by September 2021, at which time both curricula must be complete and meet the requirements listed above.
Piano Cleveland offers a stipend of $1,500 to complete all curriculum requests.
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 1, 2021.
About Piano Cleveland
Piano Cleveland promotes Cleveland as a premier piano destination by presenting world-class programming and community engagement and education initiatives. The organization’s four major programs and events include the Cleveland International Piano Competition, the CIPC for Young Artists, the Concert Series, and year-round education and community outreach programming. To learn more, visit our website at pianocleveland.org