Reporting to the Executive Director, the Development Director is responsible for grant management, fundraising, and donor relations responsibilities. This person also works with the Executive Director and ATS staff to effectively promote Art Therapy Studio across a variety of platforms (including print, website, video, email, and social media) and ensure consistency and effectiveness of communications (grant applications and reports, board campaign, annual report, online fundraising, holiday appeal, etc.). The Development Director is also responsible for implementing strategic and tactical plans for fundraising and development to ensure maximum awareness and exposure for the organization and its mission.
A successful candidate will have experience building and maintaining professional relationships with funders, donors, sponsors, and supporters while promoting donor retention and cultivating new funders. Experience collecting and managing donor data within an online database system (Salesforce) and administering timely an effective gift acknowledgment system is a plus.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage all incoming and outgoing fundraising correspondence including processing gifts, entering data into database, processing gift acknowledgment letters
- Maintain and expand client accounts in the donor database
- Cultivate and steward current and prospective donors
- Draft consistent communications and messaging
- Manage foundation relationships, active and potential grants throughout the grant lifecycle
- Write and submit letters of intent, grant applications, and reports to current and potential funders, compiling all support materials, data, and program information in collaboration with ATS leadership
- Track and compile statistics and data for Cultural Data Project Profile; complete and submit annual report
- Maintain grant reporting calendar, research potential grantors and foundation funding opportunities, and work with Executive Director to align funding goals with institutional priorities and initiatives
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with foundations and other grantors
- Lead, develop and implement strategic and tactical fundraising plans to achieve annual goals
- Identify, develop, implement, and manage pre-event and on-site event logistics for ATS fundraising events to meet or exceed budgeted financial goals and public awareness objectives including developing, maintaining, and managing vendor relationships, negotiations, and contracts
- Identify and solicit individual donors, foundations, and businesses/corporations to secure monetary and in-kind sponsorships and donations appropriate to the event
- Ensure fulfillment of sponsorship benefits
- In conjunction with Executive Director, attend third-party events serving as Art Therapy Studio’s staff liaison/representative
- Maintain a calendar of events and implement systems that enable and anticipate long-term event planning for Art Therapy Studio fundraising events
- Collaborate with the event planning committee to determine necessary resources to adequately staff events, including training and managing event volunteers
- Develop and oversee working event committees and their activities
- Work in collaboration with the Executive Director to manage development and printing of all direct mail and event-related fundraising campaigns including brochures, invitations, posters, ads, newsletter articles, etc. to maintain and strengthen the non-profit brand through design, copy, and organizational and campaign-related collateral
- Submit timely reports to management, including quarterly fundraising reports
- Serve as a vital and engaged member of the ATS leadership team, attending staff and REDI committee meetings, and serving the organization’s mission through other tasks as assigned
- Experience in development and/or nonprofit administration required, preference given to candidates who have worked in health & human service agencies with a focus on mental health
- At least two years of grant-writing and fundraising experience
- Success developing and implementing development/fundraising programs that achieved organizational objectives
Knowledge and Skills:
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, handling multiple projects simultaneously with attention to detail and accuracy, while adhering to deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- High degree of comfort working with technology, from database management systems to social media platforms
- Strong ethical character capable of handling confidential and financial information with discretion and good judgment
- Confidence in public speaking and effective interpersonal and team communication skills
- Possess analytical problem-solving skills and the ability to communicate these solutions to a team
- Ability and willingness to represent the organization at events and meetings outside of normal business hours
- Working knowledge of Microsoft applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, and Teams
- Must be comfortable working in an open/shared office setting with direct contact with the community
- Must be comfortable working with people from a variety of backgrounds and abilities
How to apply:
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and at least 2 professional references along with a sample of a successful grant proposal you have written. Each requested document should be sent as a separate pdf to email@example.com with the subject line: “Development Director Application_Your First Name Your Last Name.” Please attach and label each pdf file according to the following example: “Cover Letter First Name Last Name”
What to expect after you apply:
We expect several application submissions for this position and anticipate scheduling interviews by late February 2021. The interview process will include 2 rounds of interviews. If you are selected as a candidate, we will contact you via email to schedule your first interview. The first interview round will be with ATS’s Executive Director. If the candidate is successful in the first interview, they will be advanced to an interview with the Board Treasurer before the final candidate is selected.
Candidates are expected to educate themselves about the field of art therapy prior to the interview and come prepared by familiarizing themselves with Art Therapy Studio activities.
No phone calls, please.
Art Therapy Studio Is Committed To Racial Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion:
Art Therapy Studio is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to racial equity and inclusion in our organization and community. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws. We commit to fostering a diverse and inclusive organization through our programming, staff, and board while adhering to our mission and core values of creativity, quality of care, empowerment, inclusiveness, collaboration, and accountability.