Holden Forests and Gardens is seeking a seasonal Tree Corps Crew Leader. Located at the Cleveland Botanical Garden, the Tree Corps Team Leader will be expected to lead a crew of 6-8 Tree Corps XP students (ages 18-22) and be the main point-person for all hands-on learning and crew coordination. Tree Corps XP is a career-building experience that uses hands-on work and classroom instruction to train young adults interested in entering the field of arboriculture.
- Directs the daily supervision and activities of the Tree Corps XP crew.
- Responsible for the organization, safe and correct use, and maintenance of all tools and vehicles.
- Instructs Tree Corps XP crew members in basic, proper tree-care techniques and principles including but not limited to planting, structural pruning, mulching, site selection etc.
- Responsible for the safe and timely transport of the Tree Corps XP crew to worksites.
- Engaging the Tree Corps XP crew in well-executed, on-site work on HF&G campuses and in the Cleveland Community.
- Communicates directly with community partners and planting location point-people to coordinate logistics.
- Conducts training and community forestry activities with Tree Corps crew members to support mission driven initiatives within Holden Forests & Gardens and in collaboration with regional partners.
- Supports Holden Forests & Gardens efforts to implement aspects of The Cleveland Tree Plan.
- Assists in the creation of online and social media content.
- Participates and supports the Tree Steward, Tree Campus USA, and Arbor Care volunteers in the community and within HF&G.
- Supports ongoing outreach and technical instruction on tree care
- Collaborating with local community members and partner organizations; providing support for day-to-day project management; equipment and basic vehicle maintenance; creating content for community forestry social media; supporting community forestry projects as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Solid understanding of best management practices in tree care; solid understanding of ANSI A300 standards.
- Proven ability to coordinate a team.
- Flexible and patient.
- Willingness to work directly with people from diverse backgrounds and nationalities with sensitivity and enthusiasm.
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong writing and speaking communication skills.
- Ability to work with staff, enlisting cooperation across program areas, and with outside parties, including collaborators and contractors, in all relevant areas.
Preferred Qualifications and Competencies
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in Forestry, Horticulture, Urban Forestry, Agriculture, Environmental Sciences, or a related field
- ISA Certified Arborist
- Experience as an instructor or educator
- 1-3 years relevant experience
- Experience in working with volunteers
- Any competency in non-English languages
- Must pass a criminal background check.
- Must be available to work a flexible schedule.
- Must have a driving record in good standing.
- Willingness to participate in tree care education across all seasons in varying conditions both indoors and outdoors.
- Perform required tasks in all weather conditions.
- Effective vision and hearing.
- Ability to understand basic instructions using the English language.
- Hand and arm dexterity.
- Walking and working on wet, uneven, slippery terrain.
- Occasionally lifting and carrying of up to 50 lbs.
- Kneeling, bending, stooping, grabbing, and reaching.
- Starting in April 2020 (will consider flexibility with start and end dates)
- Non-exempt (hourly), seasonal; approximately 40 hours per week
- Total seasonal hours will be in the range of 550 – 600
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Qualified applicants should submit a résumé with salary requirements online at:
Holden Forests & Gardens is an equal opportunity, ADA employer and a drug-free workplace