Title: Executive Director
Job Status: Full time
Reports to: Board of Trustees
Zygote Press, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) non-profit community print studio and exhibition space dedicated to the practice and education of contemporary printmaking. Located in Cleveland, OH, and founded in 1996, it is the largest independent fine-art print shop between Pittsburgh and Chicago.
Zygote Press is a destination for artists of all skill levels, offering an affordable, professional workspace to artists throughout and beyond Northeast Ohio. It provides extensive facilities for intaglio, relief printing, screen printing, letterpress, and digital media, all of which have been developed as green processes. Zygote Press is home to a long-standing international artist-residency and exchange program that has facilitated over 200 opportunities for local, national and international artists during its tenure. In addition, it is an active advocate for printmaking, maintaining a working archive of over 3,000 artworks and organizing multiple exhibition opportunities throughout the year. To support art and printmaking, Zygote Press offers specialized educational programs for groups and individuals alike, and also works closely with community organizations and the Cleveland Metropolitan School District to reach students of all ages and backgrounds in public and educational settings.
The Executive Director (ED) serves as the chief executive of the organization, reports to the Board of Trustees, and supervises a staff of 4. The ED is responsible for all aspects of operations and the implementation of a strategic vision for Zygote Press. The ED will work closely with the Board of Trustees to define and execute a collective vision for the organization that aligns with its core mission; encourage the growth and health of the print studio by expanding the facility and professional print network; manage and support core staff; maximize shop functionality; maintain an active and engaged membership program; develop and implement a sustainable financial model that includes both earned and contributed revenue; continue the pursuit of eco-friendly greening techniques; guide public and community relations within a global context; and pursue strategic partnerships both locally and internationally to expand organizational impact.
The next ED of Zygote Press will be a dynamic leader who is able to balance the strengths and voices of the organization’s robust artistic community while imagining new futures that expand Zygote’s focus on accessibility, equity, and professionalism. The ED will be a strong leader who is comfortable drawing consensus; communicates clearly; and exhibits transparency, flexibility, and tenacity. Ideal candidates are active listeners who are invested in art advocacy and community building.
Organizational Leadership & Vision
- Lead Zygote Press as an active listener, equitable collaborator, and effective decision maker who successfully manages relationships between the Board of Trustees, staff, volunteers, members, and funders
- Develop and implement a collective strategic vision for the future of Zygote Press that aligns with the organization’s core mission
- Lead, develop, and retain staff and volunteers as needed
- Assess the organization on a micro and macro level while maintaining a clear and stable vision, always considering Zygote’s role on the local, national, and international stage
- Stabilize Zygote Press for long term financial success
- Build and assess internal structures to increase productivity and efficiency
- Recommend and allocate resources and timelines needed to achieve strategic goals
Revenue generation: Earned and Contributed
- Work with the Board of Trustees to build and work toward a strategic, sustainable financial model to assure long-term financial stability
- Create and implement new programs to maximize earned revenue potential through the print shop, programming, and online store
- In partnership with the Board of Trustees, design and implement a comprehensive fundraising program that includes membership, annual giving, foundation and government grants, corporate support, major gifts, planned giving, and special events to achieve stated income goals
- Cultivate and steward strong relationships with individual as well as institutional funders
Facilities & Programming
- Maintain high quality, professional facilities that can compete at a national level
- Identify opportunities for reconfiguring the facilities to support greater office productivity and earned income (facility assessment will be an on-going effort)
- Enhance already high-quality educational and exhibition programs
- Ensure programmatic excellence and rigorous program evaluation, the results of which can be effectively communicated to the Board, funders, and other constituents
Marketing, Communications & Relationships
- Develop a clear voice for Zygote Press; heighten the Zygote Press brand locally and beyond
- Develop and oversee implementation of a robust marketing/public relations/ communications program that includes an effective online presence, public/media relations, direct mail, advertising, social media, and community relations
- Expand organizational reach by developing collaborative strategic partnerships with diverse arts and community organizations
Board Development and Relations
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with the Board of Trustees to effectively communicate organization performance and seek Board guidance and participation where appropriate
- Serve as an ex-officio member of all Board committees; work closely with the Executive Committee to assure all Board committee work is completed in a timely fashion
- Assist with the identification, cultivation, and on-boarding of new Board members
- Provide strong staff support for Board meetings, including preparation of the agenda and meeting materials
Administration and Financial Management
- Oversee a core staff team, plus contractors as needed, to support day-to-day operations, program planning, financial management and reporting, marketing/communications, facilities management and programs/exhibitions
- Create and monitor the annual operating budget
- Ensure the smooth execution of ongoing financial tasks, including bill payment, deposits, payroll processing, bookkeeping, delivery of financial statements, and employee and organizational tax filings
Other duties as assigned / Qualifications:
Skills and Experience
- 3-5 years successful leadership experience with direct reports in non-profit or for-profit organizations
- Demonstrated success in building community through an equitable and inclusive approach
- Proven fundraising expertise in all giving sectors
- Strong marketing and public relations skills, with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
- Success working with a Board of Trustees, including the ability to cultivate strong board member relationships
- Proven fiscal management experience developing and managing budgets
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to develop a high-performance team to achieve strategic objectives
- Experience working with volunteers and interns
- A persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
- Creative, action-oriented, entrepreneurial, and innovative
- Collaborative, transparent, and adaptable
- Committed to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation
- Able and eager to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Committed to establishing and strengthening organizational ties to the extended Cleveland arts community
- Interest in and/or experience with printmaking and the world of contemporary art
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field (art, art history, non-profit administration, etc.) or equivalent training; Master’s Degree or equivalent training/experience preferred
Compensation package includes salary commensurate with experience and organizational budget, health insurance stipend, access to facilities for artistic pursuits, and paid vacation.
To Apply :
Email cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
Application deadline: November 7, 2020 or until filled
No phone calls, please.
For more information about Zygote Press, please visit www.zygotepress.com.
Zygote Press is an Equal Opportunity Employer.