Part Time School Registrar/Administrative Assistant
The School Registrar/Administrative Assistant is the first point of contact for students, parents, instructors and community members entering or contacting BSMA. This individual will manage all aspects of student registration, recordkeeping, and scheduling, be the key communications liaison to instructors, and handle general business functions such as processing donations, bank deposits and mail. In addition, this individual will provide administrative support to the Executive Director, and on occasion, to other professional staff.
Responsibilities of this position are:
Maintain welcoming and professional music school environment:
- Provide a warm and welcoming reception and environment for students, family members, instructors and visitors to BSMA during our open teaching hours.
- Create and maintain a clean and professional lobby appearance (e.g. reception desk, counter and waiting areas).
- Direct parents, students and visitors to designated waiting areas.
Manage communications during open school hours:
- Monitor security cameras; speak to and buzz visitors in; monitor daily student check-in; communicate as needed with students, parents, instructors and other staff.
- Answer phone; respond to phone or in-person inquiries; take messages and relay to appropriate staff/instructor; return calls regarding registration or payment; make calls for Executive Director as needed.
- Act as key liaison to instructors, providing them with regular updates and important information as necessary.
- Relay student absences to instructors; notify students/parents of unexpected instructor absences; notify students/parents regarding weather-related or other emergency closings.
Manage student registration and monitor attendance:
- Provide requested information to potential parents or students regarding instruments taught, instructors, lesson and class times, pricing and payment schedules/policies. Bring any issues/irregular requests to the Executive Director immediately.
- Accept registration information — on the phone, via email, via mail, in person – in a highly courteous, professional and timely manner; enter the data quickly and accurately into the registration system, providing a professional receipt and any other related information; handle collection of demographic data and photo waivers.
- Facilitate completion, in a confidential and professional manner, of financial aid forms by students/parents needing tuition assistance.
- Facilitate the assignment of students to instructors following supplied guidelines.
- Collect and accurately record tuition and registration fees, providing a detailed receipt. Process the funds or credit card information quickly and securely, following best practices and established procedures.
- Create and maintain weekly private lesson schedule and student attendance records.
- Enter student information into QuickBooks and BSMA’s CRM database.
- Oversee instructors’ use of space (handle room changes or assignments).
- Frequent, persistent and courteous follow up on potential student inquiries to obtain new students for BSMA (private lessons and drum corps/any group classes) for spring, summer and fall sessions.
- Prepare weekly and monthly enrollment reports, and monthly financial aid report.
- Compile and provide student enrollment and demographic data as needed for grant reports.
Manage other business office functions:
- Record receipt of donations, event orders (sponsorships, tickets, ads) and grants.
- Process credit card donations.
- Enter and update donor data BSMA’s CRM database as needed.
- Prepare weekly bank deposits.
- Provide bookkeeper with accurate copies of deposits and credit card receipts.
- Prepare outgoing mail.
- Process donor and funder acknowledgement letters in a timely manner.
- Process instructor paychecks and other checks prepared by bookkeeper.
- Perform opening and closing duties for facility as needed.
- Miscellaneous filing.
Other duties and projects as assigned by the Executive Director
Qualifications and Attributes:
- Excellent customer service skills in person and by phone; the ability to remain friendly, patient, professional and courteous under pressure.
- Extremely dependable; must have reliable transportation.
- Prior office experience is highly desirable.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong computer skills, fluency in Microsoft Word and Excel; some QuickBooks experience preferred. Internet/social media savvy a must.
- Extremely detail-oriented and accurate.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and take initiative, and also work as part of a team.
- General knowledge of and passion for music/arts education is a plus.
- The ability to communicate with individuals from diverse backgrounds, and a desire to work with children and families.
- Positive attitude, excellent judgment and work ethic. Ability to multi-task and manage time and workload efficiently; flexible.
- High school diploma or equivalent required; Associate’s degree preferred.
Reports to: Executive Director
20-22 Hours per Week. Anticipated* Work Schedule: Mondays, Tuesdays & Thursdays, 1:30 –7:30 p.m. and Saturdays, 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. (*Regular hours may be modified in relation to student lesson/class schedule, so flexibility is essential.)
Apply By: October 15; applications will be reviewed as they are received.
Expected Starting Date:
- Starts at $12/hour
- Generous holiday and vacation schedule
- Submit letter of application indicating interest in the position, the extent of experience in the above areas of responsibilities, and confirmation of your ability to work the hours as listed.
- Submit resume with the addresses and phone numbers of at least 3 references familiar with applicant’s qualifications, with their relationship indicated.
- No phone calls, please.
- Send letters and resumes to:
Broadway School of Music & the Arts
5415 Broadway Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44127
OR email to firstname.lastname@example.org with Registrar/Administrative Assistant Position in the subject line.
About the Broadway School of Music & the Arts:
BSMA’s mission is to enrich the lives of people by providing access to high-quality, diverse arts and music instruction and programming. Since 1981, BSMA has served people of all ages, incomes and ability levels from Cleveland’s Slavic Village neighborhood and surrounding areas. BSMA offers private instrumental music and voice lessons and a youth drums corps at its facility, and pre-K through senior adult arts programming at a growing number of partner organizations around Cleveland. During 2016-2017 a total of 2,231 people of all ages (980 youth) directly benefited from on-and off-site programming delivered by 21 experienced teaching artists. Information about BSMA and our program offerings is available at www.broadwayschool.org.