Holden Forests & Gardens is comprised of two world-renowned public gardens; the Holden Arboretum located in rural Kirtland, Ohio and the Cleveland Botanical Garden located in the urban University Circle region of Cleveland, Ohio.
We are seeking a Police Officer to join our team. Located at the Holden Arboretum campus, the Police Officer is primarily responsible for patrolling assigned areas with the purpose of ensuring the protection of the Holden Arboretum’s buildings, assets, natural resources, and the general safety of HF&G employees and guests.
- Patrols assigned areas with purpose to prevent disorder and criminal activity.
- Reviews emails to receive any instructions/directions; contacts prior shift officer or reviews prior shifts’ reports/activities.
- Becomes well-acquainted with all parts of the patrol area; seeks out and identifies suspicious or hazardous situations.
- Investigates suspicious circumstances and performs any necessary police action.
- Remains alert to respond to signals or calls for police action.
- Investigates locations where any crimes or illegal activity is suspected or alleged and takes appropriate police action against them; observes, pursues, identifies, and may arrest or cite, where proper, any person performing illegal activity.
- Performs any necessary police action to protect the guests/employees from insult or annoyance by noisy, or disorderly conduct on the premises of Holden Forests & Gardens.
- Directs guests when requested, with directions to their places of destination.
- Aids, within the limits of ability, any person taken ill or injured on the property of Holden Forests & Gardens.
- Investigates violations, issues warnings and citations and completes any related enforcement incident reports.
- Conducts searches and seizures and preserves evidence when necessary.
- Anticipates safety and security problems and looks for opportunities to be a part of the solutions.
- Coordinates and/or assists with search and rescue/recovery operations or medical emergencies and performs first-aid or CPR as needed.
- Provides mutual aid and assists other law enforcement agencies, as necessary.
- Ensures that fire escapes are not obstructed and that fire extinguishers are in proper places.
- Notifies superior officer concerning any sidewalk, property, or roof rendered dangerous by snow, ice, or other cause.
- Removes or arranges for removal of dead animals, rubbish, or any other offensive matter on Holden Forests & Gardens property.
- Prepares a written report detailing all relevant information concerning any disturbance, crime, or incident and actions taken.
- Reports any accessible doors and windows broken open in the patrol area, and any discovered lost or abandoned property, conducts radio and/or written reports detailing any dangerous situations, or conditions, as necessary.
- Issues citations for parking or other miscellaneous infractions.
- Maintains visibility and accessibility to guests and employees by having an ongoing presence on property, particularly in Holden’s core areas.
- Provides information regarding permits, events, amenities, programs, the location of activities and other specific points of interests.
- Provides traffic control and assists with parking for various events.
- Inspects trails for unsafe conditions and takes appropriate action to ensure the safety of guests.
- Ensures guest and member permits are displayed properly.
- During special event assignment, monitors guest activity and provides control if the number of guests becomes unmanageable and safety is an immediate issue.
- Enforces legal and organizational regulations for the use of alcohol by guests, members, and employees, when appropriate.
- Maintains current and accurate records and files as assigned.
- Must qualify annually with all department issued firearms and complete any in-service training as mandated by OPOTC and Holden Forests & Gardens.
- Must possess excellent communication skills.
- Must be physically fit.
- Must be familiar with basic PC computer operations and systems (i.e. Word, Excel, etc.).
- Must enjoy working with the general public, families and children.
- Effective and appropriate verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Ability to take initiative and problem-solve.
- Must have a current Ohio’s driver’s license with less than 3 points.
- Must possess a current Ohio Peace Officer Training Certificate.
- Must have a current First Aid and CPR Certificate.
- Must be able to pass an extensive background investigation which includes work history, education, reference checks, driving record, criminal history, credit history, and drug screen. Candidates may also be required to pass a polygraph examination, medical and psychological exam.
- Must be available to work flexible hours including nights and weekends.
- Ability to understand basic instructions using the English language
- Stand and/or sit for extended periods of time
- Perform tasks in all weather conditions; temperatures may range from 0-100 F
- Effective vision and hearing
- Hand and arm dexterity
- Walk and work on wet, uneven, slippery terrain
- Kneel, bend, stoop, grab, and reach
- Regular lifting and carrying of up to 30 pounds, occasionally 45 pounds