Who is moCa?
As the region’s only contemporary art museum, the Museum of Contemporary Art (moCa) leads the way in shaping and advancing contemporary culture. We are global and local, cosmopolitan and Cleveland at our core. We are grounded in our community, and our visitors are cultural adventurers who we engage with to explore ideas and nurture our humanity. Our work culture is passion-driven, inclusive, transparent, collaborative, and fun, and we value and support an enterprising staff that anticipates and reacts nimbly to change while embracing new opportunities and challenges. Success of the individual directly impacts success of the institution, so moCa holds every employee to a high standard of excellence with the expectation that everyone understands and participates in the institutional goals.
What is this role?
The Marketing & Communications Director develops, implements, and evaluates a comprehensive communications strategy to define and enhance public perceptions of the museum in the local and global marketplace, crafts and delivers key institutional messages, increases awareness of exhibitions and programs, drives success in attendance, engagement, and earned income goals, and supports partnership and outreach objectives. With support from the Creative Director and the Communications Manager, the Marketing & Communications Director supervises advertising, media relations, social media, audience and partnership development, and individual and organizational outreach.
What will you be doing?
On a daily basis, the Marketing & Communications Director will have many responsibilities, including:
• Develops, oversees, and evaluates a strategic marketing and communications plan and related annual budget that defines and enhances public perceptions of the museum in the local and global marketplace, delivers key institutional messages, increases awareness, drives success in attendance, engagement, and earned income goals, and supports partnership and outreach objectives.
• Serves as a primary relationship builder for existing and new partnerships with individuals, media, organizations, and civic agencies that will drive, sustain, or enhance moCa’s mission and goals
Communication Direction & Execution
• Creates, implements, and evaluates all promotional media plans.
• Develops, edits, and delivers strategic, brand-reinforcing verbal communications for diverse audiences through materials/channels including but not limited to press releases, program collateral, social media posts, advertising copy, website copy, email newsletters, and other correspondence.
• Provides interdepartmental writing and editing support to ensure brand alignment in all verbal communications.
• Oversees the Communications Manager’s execution of assigned marketing & communications plans.
• Develops and oversees the execution of all digital marketing efforts.
• Serves as a primary moCa ambassador for offsite presentations, conversations, and events.
Marketing Analytics & Research
• With the Engagement Department, regularly attends moCa programs and analyzes and synthesizes audience and visitor data against institutional goals to refine, adapt, or introduce new marketing and promotional strategies.
• Maintains current knowledge of contemporary cultural marketing and communications, including the activities of peer organizations, emerging and established practices, and trending topics in critical cultural discourse.
• Supports additional departmental and moCa needs as required
To be successful in the roll you’ll need:
• Bachelor’s degree, preferably in marketing, communications, journalism or public relations. A Master’s degree in business (MBA), Integrated Marketing, Nonprofit Management or Communications Management is preferred.
• 7-10 years previous museum or nonprofit (cultural) marketing experience, and a working knowledge of visual arts organizations or institutions, contemporary art practices, and industry trends.
• Exceptional and demonstrable verbal communications skills.
• Advanced awareness and proven use of multi-platform digital marketing strategies and branding expertise including messaging, positioning, and developing content.
• Fluency in English: speaking, reading, and writing
Core Competencies of moCa Staff:
• Inspired by contemporary art and culture
• Committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion
• Responsive to frequently shifting priorities and adaptive to change
• Able to manage time, resources, and priorities to complete tasks on time with high-quality results.
• Positive and professional
• Eager to learn and take on new challenges, and open to constructive critical feedback
A few more details:
• Our office is an open work space with sitting/standing desks, a semi-private reservable office, and informal and formal meeting spaces.
• Our salaries are consistent and competitive with similarly sized nonprofits and our health benefits are excellent.
• We encourage healthy work-life balance with a generous time-off policy and 12 paid holidays.
Ready to apply?
If you see yourself in this position, we want to hear from you! Email the following to email@example.com using the subject line “moCa Marketing & Communication Director”.
• One-page cover letter or cover email that shows how your experience and ambitions match this position and our organization.
• Resume or CV that highlights relevant education and experience
• Contact information for 3 references