The Ohio Newsroom, the latest and most ambitious effort among Ohio’s public radio stations, seeks a founding Managing Editor to expand reporting and reach throughout Ohio.
The Ohio Newsroom isn’t a place or a product. It’s a promise to strengthen Ohio’s news ecosystem with fresh ideas, more resources, and deeper collaboration. The Managing Editor will lead this exciting new initiative.
Ohio’s public radio stations are vibrant and vital assets for their communities, and together they serve every corner of the state. The Ohio Newsroom stations are in Toledo, Youngstown, Dayton, Akron, Cincinnati, Columbus, and Cleveland. The Managing Editor of the Ohio Newsroom will lead statewide collaboration efforts and hire a team to produce original content.
The Managing Editor role presents a rare opportunity to build something new among stations that already have a long history of collaboration and congeniality.
Do you love building new things and working collaboratively in a news environment? Do you have a creative and entrepreneurial spirit? Are you a skilled team builder who cultivates a positive culture while motivating people with your optimism and vision? If this sounds like you – then you should apply!
Overview of the role:
• Oversee the creation and incubation of new content products for distribution on all of Ohio’s NPR stations and web sites.
• Lead collaborative enterprise reporting projects with Ohio’s public media newsrooms.
• Coordinate content sharing among stations and provide editorial guidance.
• Hire and manage a team of reporters, producers, and editors.
Your written expression of interest should discuss your qualifications based on the following job requirements:
• Successful news team management, at least three years of experience.
• Demonstrated excellence in original editorial content production.
• Ability to successfully operationalize new initiatives.
• Superior written and verbal communication.
• Experience in goal setting and goal achievement.
• Proven success leading collaborative projects.
Given the nature of the position, the Managing Editor can live anywhere in Ohio. We will provide a workspace within one of Ohio’s public radio newsrooms. The Managing Editor is an employee of Ideastream Public Media in Northeast Ohio and reports to the General Manager of Ohio Public Media Services. The pay range for this position is $80,000–$100,000 and includes a rich benefits package including medical coverage, a 403(b) plan with an employer match, paid time off, and much more.
Ideastream Public Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, underrepresented populations, and persons who are physically challenged or with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Inclusion is one of our core values, wherein we respect the broad diversity of our communities and reflect it in our programs, services, board, and staff. We offer a rich benefits program including medical coverage, a 403(b) plan with an employer match, paid time off, and much more.