Holden Forests & Gardens
Holden Forests & Gardens is one of Northeast Ohio’s largest and most important cultural and environmental institutions. It is comprised of two campuses, the urban Cleveland Botanical Garden campus located in Cleveland’s University Circle and the rural Holden Arboretum campus located in Kirtland.
We are seeking a Gardener to join our team. Located at the Holden Arboretum campus, the Gardener is primarily responsible for assisting with the care and maintenance of the various gardens and wooded areas on the property.
- Cares for and maintains various woody and herbaceous plant species within the gardens using sound and sustainable horticulture practices. This includes soil preparation, planting, watering, fertilizing, bed renovation, mulching, propagating, pruning, staking, transplanting, weeding, mowing, edging, etc. Occasional similar work in glasshouse.
- Provides appropriate guidance to volunteers and interns for maintenance practices that meets or surpasses the horticultural standards of the Garden.
- Maintains operational and pesticide records.
- Implements Integrated Plant (Pest) Management (IPM) practices in accordance with the law.
- Assists the Plant Collections Curator and Plant Records Curator by labeling plants on the grounds.
- Maintains a safe and productive working environment for staff and visitors.
- Interacts regularly with guests, members, and the public positively to create a welcoming atmosphere.
- Safely operates a variety of machinery and equipment including, but not limited to, motorized utility cart with dump body and motorized utility cart with plow, tractor with bucket loader and fork attachments, van, pick-up truck, chain saws, chipper, single and double stage snow blowers, pruners, hand shears and saws, pole pruners and saws, weed-whipper, sprayers, leaf blowers, push and riding mowers, and various wheeled carts.
- Inspects and maintains small equipment to ensure safe operating condition, i.e. sharpening tools, mixing fuel, checking fluid levels, etc.
- Monitors, adjusts and repairs assigned irrigation system.
- Participates in leaf, ice and snow removal.
- At least 2 years of relevant experience in the green industry
- Work experience in public horticulture and gardens preferred.
- Willing and able to operate small power equipment and preform strenuous, hands-on work year-round in all types of weather conditions.
- Possession of a pesticide applicator’s license or the ability to obtain license is preferred.
- Must pass a criminal background and substance test
- Must have a Valid Ohio driver’s license and a driving record in good standing
- Must be able work a flexible schedule including some nights and weekends
- high school diploma and technical school training certification (preferred).
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Qualified applicants should submit a résumé with salary requirements online to:
Holden Forests & Gardens is an equal opportunity, ADA employer and a drug-free workplace