The Gallery Assistant will provide administrative, marketing, and some special project support to the Director. The Assistant provides basic gallery, sales, and merchandising assistance with client service emphasis. The Assistant will also assist with gallery exhibits/openings and create the marketing campaigns. This is a unique opportunity to work in a well-established and respected Gallery to curate professional art openings and to work directly with the Gallery Director in all aspects of art, marketing, and merchandising.
• Sales assistance; acts as a resource person for questions and issues from clients.
• Administrative coordination and scheduling with artists.
• Assists in scheduling major art openings; functions as curator for collections and exhibits.
• Assists in hanging and displaying the artwork.
• Attends all show openings (Typically 8 a year and on Saturdays. Others may be infrequently scheduled.)
• Creates marketing materials and drives marketing campaigns.
• Works with external vendors and suppliers.
• Phone and mail communication, filing, light cleaning, and inventory.
• Assist in merchandising and visual display of gallery.
• Additional tasks as assigned.
- Skills Required
• Must be solutions-driven, flexible and comfortable in a sales environment with a particular commitment to open, proactive, and engaging communications.
• Clear understanding of and strict adherence to the principles of integrity, accountability, honesty, and high quality client service.
• Excellent oral communication skills; able to present information in a clear and concise manner – effective speaker.
• Possess a positive and helpful attitude.
• Must be Microsoft Word, Excel and Adobe literate and willing to learn new programs as needed.
• Should have knowledge of an individual task’s overall requirements without specific direction and be committed to reliable execution of standing responsibilities and follow-up.
• Desire to excel and thrive in a vibrant, high-end artistic environment.
- Desired Background
• Working knowledge of the creative process.
• Awareness and knowledge of fine art and craft world, particular in Ohio and surrounding areas.
• Arts management and/or fine arts experience.
- Major Challenges of the Job
• Working appropriately with confidential and sensitive information.
• Creatively minded to create effective marketing designs and campaigns.
• Prompt response to specific requests and changes in direction.
• Remaining positive, balanced, and professional, particularly during high-pressure periods or deadline-oriented activities.
Provided by Director and previous Gallery Assistant in an ongoing capacity.
Programs & Applications Used
Mailchimp, Gmail, Later/Instagram scheduler, Facebook, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Word/Excel.
Cash register, credit card processor, calculator, phone, computer, ladder, drill, hammer.
Please send an email with your resume and brief cover letter describing a little about yourself and why you are interested in this position.