Holden Forests & Gardens is comprised of two world-renowned public gardens; the Holden Arboretum located in rural Kirtland, Ohio and the Cleveland Botanical Garden located in the urban University Circle region of Cleveland, Ohio.
We are seeking an Environmental Educator to join our team. Located at the Cleveland Botanical Garden campus, the Environmental Educator is primarily responsible for collaborating with the Academic and Public Programs staff to plan, prepare and teach a variety of informal education experiences to multi-generational audiences.
- Support the Garden’s mission, values, vision, and core commitment to the visitor experience and community engagement.
- Collaborate with multiple departments to develop program materials and activities for school, family, and adult audiences.
- Prepare and organize program spaces and materials, such as the Hershey’s Children’s Garden.
- Assist in the logistical coordination of weekend classes and serve as a point of contact for weekend instructors.
- Regularly maintain indoor and outdoor interpretive displays.
- Provide general support to the education department as projects and needs evolve seasonally.
- Occasionally, serve as the point of contact for volunteers and seasonal workers for educational related projects.
- Provide friendly, clear and courteous customer service to encourage return visitation.
- Contribute positively to a team of seasonal staff, volunteers, and others.
- Maintain the appearance, cleanliness and safety of workspaces and facilities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Associate’s degree (Bachelor’s degree preferred) with an emphasis in environmental education, natural sciences, horticulture, education, or museum studies, and at least 2 years of environmental education experience in a similar setting. Equivalent experience may be substituted for the degree requirement.
- Experience teaching in a summer camp environment is preferred.
- Must enjoy working with the general public, families and children
- Effective and appropriate verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Ability to take initiative and problem-solve.
- Must pass a criminal background and substance test
- Must have a driving record in good standing
- Must be able work a flexible schedule including some nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Ability to understand basic instructions using the English language
- Stand and/or sit for extended periods of time
- Perform tasks in all weather conditions; temperatures may range from 0-100 F
- Effective vision and hearing
- Hand and arm dexterity
- Walk and work on wet, uneven, slippery terrain
- Kneel, bend, stoop, grab, and reach
- Regular lifting and carrying of up to 30 pounds, occasionally 45 pounds
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Qualified applicants should submit a résumé with salary requirements online to:
Holden Forests & Gardens is an equal opportunity, ADA employer and a drug-free workplace