Cleveland Public Theatre is Hiring a Director of Patron Services
Cleveland Public Theatre (CPT) is hiring a Director of Patron Services. Reporting to the Director of Organizational Advancement, this role will be a core part of the CPT staff and will make a meaningful contribution to life at CPT and its success. Submissions will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled.
CPT is looking for an upbeat, warm, helpful person to elevate the patron experience at the theatre. This role is responsible for managing the Front of House team including one full-time staff member (the Patron Services Associate), and 5-10 part-time house managers, bartenders, and a parking attendant. This includes hiring, training, and scheduling, while managing day-to-day Front of House operations, with significant support from the Patron Services Associate.
The Director of Patron Services must frequently exercise independent judgment, initiative, and the ability to prioritize competing responsibilities. Skillsets needed for this job include exceptional customer service, cash handling, knowledge of QuickBooks and financial reconciliations, technical savvy (including Microsoft Office products, Adobe, and customer relation management databases), inventory management, forward-thinking and planning, problem-solving in the moment, and event planning. Previous box office experience is required and previous management experience is highly encouraged.
Candidates fluent in Spanish and/or Arabic are especially desirable.
Like all staff members, the role will actively contribute to the working environment and culture at CPT and the success of the organization. The successful candidate will be collaborative, eager to learn, and dedicated to working in theatre. CPT has a demanding working environment with long, intense hours, but we have fun and love what we do. We value hard work, kindness, generosity, passion, and grace-under-pressure. CPT serves a diverse audience and works to make its staff diverse as well. Work week is 50+ hours, with regular evenings and weekends required October through June. Pay is competitive with other theatres of CPT’s size and includes health benefits.
Desired start date is June 15, 2020.
Hire and Manage Front of House Team
• Hire house managers, bartenders, and parking attendant for the season
• Train new hires throughout the year, and conduct re-trainings as necessary
• Create and manage monthly schedules for the Front of House team
• Support as a floor manager for Box Office, bar, ushers, and house managers on show nights and for special events
Manage Patron Services Associate
• Provide clear information about our performances, organization, neighborhood, aesthetic, and mission
• Support Patron Services Associate with ticket sales by phone and in-person with patrons
• Prevent and resolve customer disputes to mutual satisfaction
• Complete Box Office reconciliations, royalties, and splits for all shows
• Complete a monthly financial reconciliation
Manage Bar, Concessions, and Receptions
• Maintain organized spaces for bartenders to work
• Manage and select bar inventory
• Manage and update bar signage and menus
Manage CRM Ticketing and Patron Database
• Set-up all the shows in the ticketing system and continue to update throughout the season
• Participate in monthly meetings to discuss with fellow departments how to make best use of our patron database
• Continually manage patron accounts with support of Patron Services Associate
• Manage artist memberships throughout the year
• Use database for reporting and analytics and assist fellow departments
• Previous experience with Spektrix database is a plus
Manage and Elevate Patron Experience
• Create lobby layouts for shows and special events
• Manage scheduling of first aid trainings for staff
• Manage patron accessibility needs
• Attend dress rehearsals for each production
• Schedule and facilitate multi-departmental meetings prior to each show opening
• Update standard wayfinding signage for shows
• Respond to and document patron reactions to amenities, parking, pricing, and other patron feedback
• Anticipate patron needs and concerns
Be an Active Member in the Execution of CPT Special Events including:
• Board Meetings
• Dark Room (monthly) — Manage set-up and strike
• Station Hope (annually in May) — Schedule and manage catering and Front of House; support with volunteer management; support and manage night-of assignment for the event (roles may vary)
• Pandemonium (annually in September) — Choose the wines for the event, and manage alcohol order; manage kitchen and bar set-up for the event; support parking and Celebrity Chef management; support ticket sales for the event; support and manage night-of the event (roles may vary) including strike
• Staff birthday celebrations
Support General Administrative Functions including:
• Supporting incoming funds when necessary
• Managing ticket donation packets for other nonprofits
• Maintaining and cleaning of shared community spaces and staff tablecloths
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate the following:
• Exceptional conversational skills, verbal expression, and warm attitude
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office including knowledge of Excel
• Experience with ticketing software or use of customer relation management (CRM) databases; experience with our current CRM—Spektrix—is a plus
• Candidates fluent in Spanish and/or Arabic are especially desirable
• Basic knowledge of QuickBooks and accounting is a plus
• Basic knowledge of Square is a plus.
• Previous live theatre box office experience
• Previous retail or customer service experience
• Cash handling and cash drawer reconciliation experience
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting, performing arts, humanities or related fields, or equivalent work experience
Qualities and Personality
• Interest in the arts and knowledge of live theatre
• Enjoyment in speaking with and helping the general public
• Curiosity in how things work
• Ability to work efficiently and calmly in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to prioritize and multi-task
• Ability to focus on details and work with numbers
• Energy and enthusiasm
• Lifting and transporting cases of beverages throughout a multi-level facility; must be able to lift 50 lbs.
• In addition to normal business hours, availability to work most Monday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday evenings, October through June (the Patron Services team will be “off-the-clock” during the daytime on any Monday following a show weekend)
Interested candidates should send a two-page cover letter, resume, and references to the attention of Caitie H. Milcinovic, Director of Organizational Advancement, at email@example.com. Submissions will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Cleveland Public Theatre’s (CPT) mission is to raise consciousness and nurture compassion through groundbreaking performances and life-changing education programs. CPT implements this mission through its annual theatrical season, featuring 8 to 10 adventurous professional productions, a robust series of new play development programs that support writers and devisers at multiple points in the creative process, and acclaimed education programs that engage communities in devising new works that speak to contemporary issues, and empower participants to work for positive change in our community. CPT is a nationally recognized center for contemporary performance and new plays with an annual budget of $2.5 million and a full-time staff of 20.