Title: Development Associate
Job Type: Salaried Employee: Exempt
Job Status: Full-time (40 hours)
Reports to: Director of Development
The Nature Center at Shaker Lakes is looking for a Development Associate to join our team during an exciting time of growth. The Development Associate will primarily focus on donor database management, including gift entry and producing donor acknowledgment letters. The Development Associate will also work closely with the Director of Development and President & CEO to provide administrative support, including scheduling and assisting with activities associated with a capital campaign to help keep the campaign on schedule and progressing with momentum toward achieving the campaign goal.
Operations Responsibilities Include:
- Updating the donor database (eTapestry) with various information such as appeals, donor recognition, attributes, constituencies, event registrants, etc.
- Maintaining all aspects of gift management, including the coordination of solicitation mailings, gift acknowledgements, tracking pledges and benefit fulfillments.
- Producing interdepartmental communication and reports (Example: Summer Camp registrations in regards to member discounts).
- Ensuring quality assurance through regular updates, audits, and maintenance of department materials and the database.
- Assisting in conducting donor prospect identification and research. He/She conducts prospect research to identify prospective donors and to gather information about both new prospects and current donors.
- Other duties as assigned.
Capital Campaign Responsibilities Include:
- Making arrangements for meetings with major donors: Work with the Director of Development to schedule meetings with prospective donors. This includes email and phone calls to all people involved. Once the donor has agreed to meet, he/she is responsible for making the meeting happen.
- Handling meeting responsibilities include making lunch reservations, coordinating schedules with a staff person for a tour of the grounds, sending a confirmation email or note the day before the meeting, sending any necessary information to the donor before the meeting.
- Preparing materials needed for major donor meetings: The Development Associate customizes materials, keeps them updated and organized. He/She prepares packages of materials for donor meetings as directed by the President & CEO and other solicitors.
- Following up from major donor meetings: He/She makes sure the donor is thanked appropriately and receives the materials or follow up action promised at the meeting. He/she makes sure that records of the meeting are updated and filed and that follow up actions are noted so they can be acted on in the future.
- Coordinating other meeting follow up, such as drafting notes for the Director of Development, President & CEO, and campaign leadership to work with after the meeting.
- Ensuring that every campaign gift and pledge is managed seamlessly so that the donor is officially acknowledged within 48 hours of receiving the gift and thanked by members of the campaign team.
- Making sure that each gift is credited appropriately in the accounting system, noting any on-going pledge payments and reminders.
- Assisting the Director of Development in maintaining accurate reports of campaign progress.
- Four year college degree or equivalent experience
- Experience with Blackbaud databases preferred
- Excellent computer skills, including fluency in Word, Excel, Publisher and database programs
- Detail-oriented, strong organizational skills, and problem-solving mindset
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Enthusiastic, friendly personality
- Ability to work effectively with a wide variety of personalities, both independently and as part of a team
- Strong organizational skills; ability to multi-task, prioritize effectively and adapt to change
- Commitment to the Nature Center’s mission, principles and values, and appreciation for the environment and education
Compensation: Commensurate with experience, qualifications and organizational salary structure: includes full benefits package, progressive work environment, opportunities for professional development and flexible schedule.
Application: Please submit cover letter and resume to: email@example.com. Include “Development Associate” in the subject line.
The mission of the Nature Center at Shaker Lakes is to conserve a natural area,
connect people with nature, and inspire environmental stewardship.
The Nature Center at Shaker Lakes is an Equal Opportunity Employer