CPT is seeking part-time Supporting Teaching Artists (Cleveland Act Now Academy and CMHA Cleveland Act Now programs) to assist in implementing CPT Education programming. Theatre experience is a plus. We are looking to build a strong core of artists who are dedicated to creating work to further racial and economic justice.
CMHA CLEVELAND ACT NOW
CMHA Cleveland Act Now (CAN) takes place in partnership with Cuyahoga Metropolitan Housing Authority (CMHA) at community centers for children and families who live in public housing. Under the guidance of CPT Teaching Artists, young artists learn how to create and perform their own plays, dance, poetry, music, and visual art. These multidisciplinary performing arts activities improve academic skills, instill empathy and responsibility, build character, and enhance creative thinking. The students regularly perform at CMHA community centers as well as arts festivals throughout Cleveland. CMHA CAN is offered in four CMHA communities: Lakeview Terrace, Woodhill Homes, Outhwaite Homes, and Riverside Park.
CLEVELAND ACT NOW ACADEMY (CAN ACADEMY)
Cleveland Act Now (CAN) Academy is a free performing arts program for younger teens and youth from Cleveland and surrounding neighborhoods, held on-site at Cleveland Public Theatre. The Juniors program serves youth ages 7-10, and the Seniors program serves youth ages 11-14. Young artists engage in rigorous (and fun!) theatre training, learning acting fundamentals, script analysis, storytelling techniques, and play creation.
- Experience in at least one theatre-related arts discipline (dance, drumming, singing, acting, creative writing, etc.)
- Experience teaching children and/or teenagers
- Ability to travel to multiple sites (CMHA CAN)
- Demonstrated ability to be or become a strong role model for Cleveland youth
- Energy, responsiveness, flexibility, creativity
- Attention to detail, ability to work independently
- Openness to learning new techniques in the creation of original performance material
SUPPORTING TEACHING ARTIST, CMHA CAN (UP TO 4)/CAN ACADEMY (1)— JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Successfully supporting Teaching Artists & Site Coordinators in implementing CMHA CAN and/or CAN Academy programming, actively engaging with youth as they build storytelling skills (incorporating body, voice, and ensemble) and community
- Collaborating with CMHA CAN, CAN Academy, and/or CPT Staff from applicable departments to successfully present artistic work at assigned sites
- CMHA CAN youth present one fully produced performance of original work in late February/ March and present additional community performances throughout the year.
- CAN Academy youth perform at the end of each session and at community events throughout the year.
- Attending trainings and/or meetings with CMHA CAN and/or CAN Academy teams and Director of Education to share outline highlights, session progress, questions, and opportunities regarding program implementation (1-2 hours weekly)
- CAN Academy team hours are from 3:30pm-6:30pm at CPT
- CAN Academy Juniors and CAN Academy Seniors both meet twice weekly.
- The CAN Academy STA would support four sessions each week.
- CMHA CAN team hours are either scheduled from 3:00pm-5:30pm or 3:30pm-6:00pm
- Each CMHA CAN team would support sessions in two CMHA communities.
- CMHA CAN ensembles meet twice weekly; each CMHA CAN STA would support four sessions each week.
- Completing other duties that relate to the CMHA CAN and/ or CAN Academy programs as determined by Teaching Artists & Site Coordinators (recruitment, communication, record keeping)
- This position pays $17/hour.
We are looking to fill these positions as soon as possible. Please send a resume and letter of interest to Zyrece Montgomery, CAN Academy Teaching Artist and Site Coordinator. In your email, the subject line should be your last name followed by “CMHA CAN TEACHING ARTIST” or “ CAN Academy TEACHING ARTIST.” No phone calls, please.