Classification: Full time, year-round salary position
Term of Employment: June 1, 2023
Reports to: Director of Production
Salary range: $66,000 – $75,000 annually
Cleveland Play House (CPH) is seeking a Technical Director to join the production team producing work for our main stages, New Ground Theatre Festival, Education productions, and the CWRU/CPH MFA program.
- Leadership and Supervision:
- In partnership with the Associate Technical Director (ATD), hire and supervise I.A.T.S.E. scene shop staff that includes Head Carpenter, Deck Carpenter, four Scenic Carpenters, along with occasional Overhire Carpenters and possible Technical Direction Apprentice
- Work closely with and supervise Paint Shop Charge and Scenic Artist to analyze, plan and schedule shared work
- Actively recruit, train, and mentor technicians from equity-seeking communities to ensure that production crews have a broader representation for diversity
- Cultivate a collaborative, inclusive, and anti-racist culture in the scene shop by building culturally competent and generative relationships among staff, and immediately addressing instances of micro aggressive or harmful language or behavior
- Support scene shop staff participation in CPH learning opportunities
- Recognizing CPH is an IATSE apprentice house, teach and mentor in theatrical construction, rigging, and load in techniques
- Attend and/or run department meetings to communicate pertinent information to scene shop staff
- Maintain and approve direct report timesheets, Personal Time Off requests, and other personnel records
- Maintain a safe and healthy work environment
- Designer Support and Collaboration:
- Maintain ongoing communication with Designers to support and execute designs that maintains a high artistic standard and keep designs within resources of time, labor, materials, and budget with an awareness and ability to implement culturally sensitive building techniques in work that engages with culturally specific aesthetics/practices
- In partnership with ATD attend production meetings and technical rehearsals
- Foster within the design process a critical eye towards accessibility and cultural competency
- Ensure changes to the design are communicated to the appropriate members of the production team
- Communicate with Stage Manager and Designer on rehearsal and tech notes
- Scenic Construction/Install/Tech Process:
- Estimate materials and labor costs from Designer’s preliminary drawings and refine estimates with final drawings to ensure efficiency, cost-effectiveness and safety, while maintaining the design vision
- Collaborate with the ATD to source and purchase materials in a timely, resource-efficient way, prioritizing local, diverse and socially responsible vendors
- Create construction drawings from Designer’s plates
- Work with all production departments to prepare and review a build, load-in and strike schedule for each production
- Along with ATD manage construction, load in, installation, tech rehearsal and strike of all scenery
- Train Run Crew in proper methods of moving, storing and maintaining scenery
- Uphold cultural integrity and specificity of the design throughout budgeting and build process
- Shop Maintenance:
- Oversee purchase and maintenance of shop tools and equipment, stage rigging and theatrical systems, making sure they are in safe and proper working order
- Manage scenic and paint stock
- Keep scene shop, storage and stages clean and free of debris
- Recycle and reuse material as is possible and cost effective
- Work with the Director of Production to identify, source and manage Scenic capital improvements
- Maintain updated and accurate theatre plans
- Maintain timely and up to date scenic expense tracking
- Serve on at least one Equitable Artistic Practices Team sub-committee
- Collaborate in policy setting, season planning, script reading and budgeting process
- Ensure CPH policies and procedures are understood and followed
Desired experience and skills include:
- Ability to lead and manage a team for project-based work
- Ability to analyze scripts, designs, technical drawings and other information to summarize, organize and apply to planning and budgeting
- Ability to establish and maintain communication in person, via email, phone, Zoom and other means clearly, accurately and identify and share key information with those who need it
- Knowledge of scenic construction techniques and materials
- Knowledge of welding and welding techniques
- Knowledge of pneumatics
- Knowledge of motion control construction and operation, use of automation controls; CPH uses Creative Connors
- Knowledge of stage rigging and techniques
- Ability to draft with Vectorworks or CAD programs
- Ability to estimate materials costs and develop and adhere to schedules
- Ability to become familiar with IATSE, USA, AEA and other union agreements
- Demonstrated leadership in initiatives relating to accessibility, racial equity, recruitment, and mentorship
Positions reporting to Technical Director:
Associate Technical Director, IATSE Head Carpenter, IATSE Deck Carpenter, 5 IATSE Scenic Carpenters, Charge Scenic Artist, Scenic Artist, Technical Direction Apprentice
This position also collaborates regularly with Apprentices, all Production Departments, Designers, Directors, Stage Managers and Director of Production.
Shop Hours M-F 8am-4:30pm; shared attendance with ATD for tech and preview performances includes some evenings and weekends.
- Comprehensive benefits package includes: group medical health insurance to which CPH contributes a portion of the employee’s premium; additionally dental, vision…etc. and other plans are available as well.
- Paid vacation, company and discretionary holidays as well as the opportunity to participate in a 401(K) plan.
- Tickets to select CPH productions subject to availability
- Parking is available at employee’s cost.
Interested applicants should upload a cover letter with a resume and submit that information through the CPH website. Please indicate in the cover letter how you heard about this position. For additional information on Cleveland Play House, including more information on employee benefits and our company culture, visit our website at www.clevelandplayhouse.com.
Cleveland Play House is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
CPH is on an active and ongoing journey to becoming an anti-racist organization, fostering and sustaining a culture that values community, social justice and equity. Please learn more about where we started on this journey in CPH’s April 2, 2021 statement: https://www.clevelandplayhouse.com/cph-statement
**Cleveland Play House has a mandatory Covid-19 vaccination policy for all employees**