Full Time Seasonal, Salary position
Employment Dates: Flexible Start Date – through June 11, 2023; with possible extension weeks/year round
Reports to: Technical Director
Salary Range: $39,000 – $44,000/year
Cleveland Play House (CPH) is seeking an Associate Technical Director to join the production team for the 2022-23 season to build for our main stages, New Ground Theatre Festival, and the CWRU/CPH Masters of Fine Arts (MFA) program.
Responsibilities in Partnership with the Technical Director (TD) in all aspects of executing the scenic designs:
• Manage the scene shop including oversee maintenance of shop tools and equipment and maintenance of stage rigging and theatrical systems
• Attend select tech rehearsals, work note sessions and preview performance in partnership with TD
• Order supplies, tools and materials for the scene shop
• Maintain scenic accounting to track expenses
• Cultivate a collaborative, inclusive, and anti-racist culture in the scene shop by building positive relationships among staff, and immediately addressing instances of micro aggressive or harmful language or behavior
• Participate in weekly departmental equity, diversity, inclusion and access learning conversations
• Act as CPH liaison with other theaters to ensure smooth transfers of co-productions
• Maintain Scene Shop, storage areas and stages clean and free of debris
• Maintain a safe and healthy work environment
Lead Responsibility to Construct, Load-in and Strike CWRU/CPH MFA and Education productions:
• Estimate materials and labor costs from designers drawings for MFA and Children’s shows
• Communicate with Designers to keep MFA and Children’s show designs within budget
• Communicate with Designers to accurately execute designs for MFA and Children’s shows
• Create construction drawings from designer plates for MFA and Children’s shows
• Oversee all aspects of MFA and Children’s show scenery construction, load-in and strike.
• Coordinate with other departments to ensure efficient and cost effective scheduling.
• Have all scenery and masking for MFA and Children’s shows loaded-in and working for the first technical rehearsal, including setting trims and spikes for any moving scenery
• Train run crew in proper methods of moving, storing and maintaining scenery for all MFA and Children’s
• Attend production meetings and technical rehearsals
Desired experience and skills include:
• Able to understand blueprints and construction drawings in Vectorworks and AutoCad programs
• Have strong leadership and communication skills
• Have a thorough knowledge of scenic construction techniques and materials
• Have a working knowledge of welding techniques
• Have a knowledge of hydraulics and motion control (Creative Connors)
• Have a working knowledge of stage rigging
• Able to work as a member of a team but also able to take on individual responsibilities and follow them through to completion
This position will primarily work in collaboration with the Technical Director, IATSE Scenic Carpenters, Charge Scenic Artist, and Director of Production
Shop Hours M-F 8am-4:30pm; select evenings weekends required during tech rehearsal weeks
• Comprehensive benefits package includes: group medical health insurance to which CPH contributes a portion of the employee’s premium; additionally dental, vision…etc. and other plans are available as well
• Paid vacation, company and discretionary holidays as well as the opportunity to participate in a 401(K) plan
• Tickets to select CPH productions subject to availability
• Parking available at employee’s cost
Interested applicants should upload a cover letter with a resume and submit that information through the CPH website. Please indicate in the cover letter how you heard about this position. For additional information on Cleveland Play House, including more information on employee benefits and our company culture, visit our website at www.clevelandplayhouse.com.
Cleveland Play House is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
CPH is on an active and ongoing journey to becoming an anti-racist organization, fostering and sustaining a culture that values community, social justice and equity. Please learn more about where we started on this journey in CPH’s April 2, 2021 statement: https://www.clevelandplayhouse.com/cph-statement
CPH has a mandatory Covid-19 vaccination policy for all employees.