BIRTHDAY PARTY EDUCATOR
The Nature Center at Shaker Lakes (NCSL), a 501(c)(3) non-profit founded in 1966 and located in the Shaker Parklands on the eastern edge of Cleveland. The mission of NCSL is to conserve a natural area, connect people with nature, and inspire environmental stewardship. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to provide a safe, welcoming, and inclusive working environment. View our mission, vision, and diversity statement online at www.shakerlakes.org.
I Job Overview:
Job Title: Birthday Party Educator
Department: Facilities & Operations (Rentals)
Classification: Non-exempt, hourly
Job Type: Part-time (weekends) with a rare evening
Job Status: Employee, on an as needed basis
Reports to: Director of Facilities Operations
Supervisory Role: No
II Job Summary:
This individual will function as an educator to conduct and lead our birthday parties on the
weekends and a rare evening. The successful candidate will present NCSL designed curricula
and hands-on outdoor experiences for children aged 3-12 along with their parents for our
program based B’Earthday Parties. Candidate must be passionate about nature and the
environment and be able to convey age appropriate knowledge and enthusiasm.
III Job Responsibilities & Duties:
A. Administrative/Preparatory (25%):
• Communicate, primarily via email, with NCSL staff several times a week for
scheduling and logistics involved with arranging and preparing for B’earthday
• Communicate with renters several days prior to parties to ensure all necessary
information is shared.
• Prepare for parties by collecting necessary tools and materials.
• Stay current and work collaboratively with all Nature Center staff to ensure
excellence and maintain continuous improvement of NCSL curricula and
B. EDUCATION: (70%):
• Present and lead Nature Center B’Earthday Party one-hour programs to children
primarily 3-12 years old, as well as adults.
• Conduct hikes and other outdoor activities, as per the program selected, in all
seasons or weather conditions.
• Assist families with room setup and facilitation of B’Earthday Party for three-hour
contract duration as well as clean up.
• Act as liaison between renter and the facilities by guiding them as needed and
inform them of the elevator, kitchen and restrooms.
• Be knowledgeable and enforce NCSL rules and procedures.
• Ensure a positive visitor experience by engaging visitors of all ages.
• Direct guests and answer their questions.
• Work collaboratively with Visitor Services staff to perform inspection of room after
a party and ensure the room is left in similar state it was found.
C. OTHER: (5%)
• Twelve hours of hands-on training for the position will be provided by NCSL.
• Participate in staff and rental meetings and events.
• Participate in NCSL signature fundraising events.
IV Required Qualifications & Skills:
• Minimum one-year of experience in elementary level education or professional childcare
or equivalent experience.
• Ability to hike one-mile in all seasons.
• Possess enthusiasm for the outdoors and a basic knowledge of the natural world.
• Ability to handle live animals such as worms, salamanders, frogs, turtles and corn & rat
• Ability to take initiative, lead and interact with groups of children as well as adults.
• Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work with a wide variety of personalities; ability to
deal with public and staff with tact, courtesy and diplomacy.
• Excellent verbal communication skills.
• Ability to work both independently and with other staff and volunteers.
• Ability to work weekends and possible evenings with a flexible schedule.
• Exhibit enthusiasm, poise, dependability, have a good sense of humor and positive
• Ability to problem solve and provide solutions to everyday challenges, including outdoor
safety risks to guests.
• Commitment to Nature Center mission, principles and values (see: www.shakerlakes.org).
V Preferred Qualifications & Skills:
• CPR and First Aid certified (training opportunities provided).
• Experience leading interpretive nature hikes or similar outdoor education.
• Two-year degree or equivalent experience.
VI Working Conditions:
• Position requires hiking one-mile, climbing stairs, kneeling, sitting and bending.
• This position takes place outdoors along our trails with possible hazards (snow, rain,
• NCSL has taken many safety measures to protect the staff and public from the COVID-19
virus. Personal Protective Equipment is provided.
• $75 bonus pay per birthday party
• $50 bonus pay per non birthday party
• $14/per hour for training and NCSL events
VIII Application Procedure:
Subject Line: Birthday Party Educator
Recommended: Cover Letter