Beck Center for the Arts
Position (Title): Visual Arts Instructor – Drawing & Cartooning
Reports to: Assistant Director of Education
General Description: Part-time, hourly, non-exempt
Position Summary: Beck Center’s Visual Arts Education program seeks a dynamic teaching artist to lead drawing and cartooning classes for children (ages 6-10) and teens (ages 11-18). We seek an aspirational artist that will contribute to Beck’s growing and vibrant cartooning program, which includes weekly classes, workshops, an annual Beck Comic Book Day event in May, and participation in local events and outreach. One weekly class is available during the fall semester, Art of Cartooning & Comics Advanced for teens, with the possibility of extending the teaching opportunity into future semesters. Through our cartooning classes, students hone their drawing skills, cultivate their own individual style, tell stories visually, and at the completion of the course create their own printed comics. Beck Visual Arts Faculty are also encouraged to submit their artwork in the annual Beck Faculty Exhibition each summer.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced cartooning artist with a proven ability to work with students of all ages. Candidates should possess a strong focus in drawing fundamentals and have familiarity with multiple cartooning styles. Ability to cover topics in Manga is preferred, but not required.
• Art of Cartooning & Comics Advanced (ages 11-18), Saturday 12:00-1:30 PM
o Fall Session 2 (6 weeks): Nov 2-Dec 19, no class Nov 23-28
o In-Person at Beck Center. Masks are required by all individuals. Classroom is configured for social distancing, which is to be maintained at all times. The instructor is required to clean high-touch surfaces following every class. In the event that Beck Center closes, all in-person classes are to move immediately online (Google Classroom & Zoom).
• Work with the Assistant Director of Education to design, implement, and oversee the course and its content.
• Communicate with students and parents in a thorough and meaningful way as to encourage participation, growth, and understanding of the program.
• Track attendance and enrollment throughout semester
• Teach classes/lessons as schedule allows.
• A combination of education, training, and experience equivalent to an undergraduate degree in the art form.
• Experience as a teacher in a school classroom and/or a community based program.
• An articulate customer service oriented individual who works well with students, families, and colleagues.
• Excellent organizational skills with ability to be prepared to lead weekly classes that are educational with developmentally and age appropriate content.
• Prior use of Google Classroom and Zoom is preferred.
• Hiring contingent upon passing a background check.
• A competitive hourly rate will be discussed with each potential candidate
Submit cover letter, resume, and portfolio samples via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
Beck Center’s Core Values: We believe in the transforming and transcending power of the arts, the strength of collaboration, diversity as an essential component in all we do, an inclusive and safe environment, ethical and fiscal responsibility, customer service, personal attention and access, and building relationships. We are an equal opportunity employer.
© 2021 Cuyahoga Arts & Culture. All rights reserved. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.